Chief Communications Officer
Stanley Black & Decker
Stanley Black & Decker: Celebrating 175 Years of Building and Making the World
In this session, Shannon will discuss:
- The criticality of story: Uncovering the historical significance of an organization, and making it relevant to today
- Aligning purpose, business strategy, history and anniversaries to motivate and engage audiences
- Integrating brand, marketing, communications, investor relations, sales and other teams
Former, VP Global Brand Systems
IBM at 100: Insights on Propelling a Brand into the 21st Century.
Kevin Bishop led IBM’s Global Centennial Program, a yearlong program of engagement that received many accolades, including the Silver Anvil Award for the largest corporate service event in history.
Kevin will explore the power of using your anniversary as a catalyst to understand your past to inform your future and as an educational experience for employees, clients and other stakeholders.
Kevin will outline the strategic planning process and lessons learned, for example:
1. Start with the strategic intent and be clear who you constituents are.
2. Have deep content and substance behind what you do. Being authentic is essential.
3. Humanize your story, making sure it is relevant to the people that impact your future, not your past.
4. Work each media element for what it’s uniquely good at.
5. Make sure to avoid the mistake of treating your anniversary as an isolated event. Your approach should last for the long term.
Planning for UVA’s Bicentennial: How to Commemorate the Past and Envision the Future Without Missing a Step.
She’ll share the challenges and lessons learned, as well as the highlights and accomplishments, from UVA’s bicentennial commemoration.
From research and benchmarking, to aspirational brainstorming and goal setting, to organizing teams, and ultimately to program conception, execution, and assessment, an anniversary commemoration is an opportunity to honor the past, build collaborative relationships in the present, and envision the future.
Your Multimedia Anniversary.
We live in a visual age, with an array of powerful channels available for telling an anniversary story. Film producer and award-winning author/journalist Nina Easton describes how organizations can deploy a multimedia platform of video, online content, and live events to create anniversaries with impact.
As co-CEO of SellersEaston Media—dedicated to telling stories of leaders and leadership—she has produced anniversaries for top companies, law firms, and universities. She is currently producing The LBJ School’s 50thanniversary at the University of Texas, featuring three major live events and a range of films based on 70 interviews.
Drawing on wide-ranging examples, Nina will share:
- Video samples that demonstrate how hitting the right notes in an anthem film can set the tone for celebrating an organization’s past while reaching toward a vibrant future.
- Tips on the art of the interview, and how to tap into the little-noticed expertise of storytellers in your own community.
- Examples of how a focus on individual stories–in film and on stage– will bring your organization’s vision and impact to life.
- How you can use your anniversary year to build content for a lasting social media vault.
- How the power of video and film can be deployed to broaden your donor circle.
Daniel J. Hasler
Exec. VP Communications
The Rosetta Stone for an Anniversary Campaign is the Organizations’ Brand Strategy.
A major anniversary is an incredible platform for a corporate wide campaign that strengthens an organizations Brand among its many stakeholders. At its most effective it’s not a historical review and back slapping contest but rather your opportunity to align and communicate through words, actions and your claim on the future.
Digital Content & Production Mgr.
Intel’s 50th Anniversary Celebration: Engaging Employees for the Next 50.
Intel used its 50th anniversary to engage and celebrate employees, acknowledge its rich and powerful past, and pivot towards new market opportunities to reach it’s $300B revenue goal in the future.
Through 6 tent pole activations, planned in 6 months, Intel employees were able to Do Wonderful to make a lasting impact on the world.
Kate will share key elements of Intel’s planning process including how to:
- Establish effective guiding principles
- Organize small, cross-functional decision-making committee
- Gain the critical support of leadership
- Engage and empower worldwide volunteers
- Use your anniversary to Do Wonderful
- Benefit from lessons learned by understanding what worked, what didn’t
San Diego Zoo Global, Centennial
It Began With a Roar: San Diego Zoo’s Centennial Celebration.
“Respect the Past, Change the Future” has been the mantra of San Diego Zoo for more than 50 years. Nothing reflects this refrain better than its centennial celebration which allowed the zoo to pay homage to its illustrious past while primarily focusing on its future.
During an activity-studded year, the team debuted a new strategic plan which has led to record attendance and revenue and has firmly established San Diego Zoo as the number one zoo in the world.
Founder & CEO
Celebrating Milestones Anniversaries in the Era of Social Distancing.
Connecting to the people who matter most to your organization or institution has never been more important. A milestone anniversary is a one-time opportunity and must be celebrated and we need to rethink the toolkit for bringing key stakeholders together in a way that is meaningful and memorable in this time of social distancing. This is the time to reimagine the experience that will celebrate your heritage and propel the future of your organization.
We’ll respond to your questions many have asked, which include:
- How do I bring our communities together for a powerful, unified experience?
- How do I reimagine my milestone anniversary in the virtual setting?
- How do I create an ongoing campaign that leverages our anniversary to shape our future?
- How do I design a hybrid celebration? What are the available choices?
We will explore the many virtual/digital tools that are available to honor the heritage and achievements of your institution/organization. We may be social distancing for some time to come, but there is no reason to compromise your once-in-a-lifetime occasion.
Founder & CEO
Talk summary to-be-posted
8 Key Considerations for Successful
Lisa’s had the privilege of interviewing hundreds of executives who embraced the challenges and opportunities with planning anniversary campaigns. Their collective insights added to her own and one of them is that there are common threads of best practices, whether it’s a corporate, higher-ed or non-profit milestone anniversary.
Lisa will share her insights about what works, what doesn’t and why and the 8 key considerations for successful anniversary planning. Lisa will also talk about the “Anniversary Effect,” which contributes to transformative and measurable outcomes beyond what may be imagined.